Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Compressing distances


Compressing distances, originally uploaded by edfooliu.

It's magic. I took this in my parking lot approx 150-200ft away (according
to me eyeballing google maps. note to self: look into geotagging on the
cheap). Nifty.

Though seriously, this manual-everything is like a complete reset of all my
skill development (however little of it). It took about 8 or 9 attempts to
get this shot. Getting the right exposure via trial-and-error, getting the
right focus, compensating for the MUCH greater camera/hand shake at max
zoom, etc. I still haven't decided whether I feel more fulfilled having to
work for what would otherwise be a straightforward shot or more frustrated
at how painfully slow I am.

Said pain is very much mitigated by the awesome, clicky aperture ring. It's
so chunky and solid and makes simultaneous aperture and shutter adjustments
feasible (normally my D40 adjusts shutter and aperture with the same dial
and a shift key) and deliciously tactile. Did I mention it was chunky and
clicky?

2 comments:

stephen said...

wait, isn't the metering through-the-lens? as in, AE works regardless?

ed said...

nope... D40 doesnt have a light sensor onboard for metering/AE. there's a(re) reason(s) it's like...100 bucks cheaper than your canon