Tuesday, August 19, 2008

<3 shutter priority mode


, originally uploaded by edfooliu.

The great thing about auto-everything on a camera is that it imparts upon
the novice opportunities disproportionate to his skill. Much like
electronic nannies on a car like stability control, you wont get anywhere
near a well-prepared and skillfully executed manual shot, but you also won't
be killed to death when something very unexpected happens very quickly.

Case in point, the photo above... ah, the joys of life without stability control [swoon]...
and the joys of a shutter priority mode that gave me a chance at a fleeting
shot I would otherwise muck up. I was completely unprepared, having powered
off my camera, but a quick bootup and a quick-ish* autofocus at least saved
me from missing it entirely. Results are... less-than-spectacular, but again,
it's a rather large improvement in quality over a no shot at all.


In sadder news.
Shortly after this shot I went to secure my camera in my car for video
during my runs, and in the one moment of vulnerability between the security
of my neck strap and the security of the car mount, I managed to drop it
onto pavement and jam up the lens (or otherwise break the zoom/focus
mechanism). sooo. we may have to milk my autocross shots a while longer
whilst I sort out my camera situation.


* interesting to see the delay/lag of the autofocus/shutter in action--the
focus point was the nose of the car, but by the time the camera sorted
everything out and took the shot, the nose had moved a good 7-8 feet beyond
that point.

No comments: