Friday, August 22, 2008

combining arts

Neither of which i'm any good at...

guitaramp2

Decided to shoot some pics of my guitar/amp after playing a bit tonight. The cables and shadows are a bit distracting, but a) I'm lazy and b) I prefer photography that doesn't actively manipulate the subject (AHEM steph). I'm developing a bit of an obsession with empty space and what it can do for a shot. It seems real suitable for this one, and the warm, dim lighting contributes to the tone. The flashy hardware gets subdued by that space and light, which is sort of the feeling I have when I'm playing in my dim, empty, cave of a basement. The perspective on the amp also caught my attention among the shots I had. Something about that angle gives it presence.

guitar

Not a whole lot to say here; I just adore that body contour. The colors/light/shadows playing off its surface is just a fantastic visual for me.


I'm also pretty impressed with the low-light shooting (of course, this after telling steph it didn't blow me away). While I still pine for a faster lens, most of my shots tonight were done at 1/6s and 1/10s shutter speeds, and it surprised the heck out of me that I was able to get that slow by hand (just bracing against my body). I know the larger, more massive body and lens help stability and reduce shake, but by this much? I couldnt manage anything slower than 1/30s on my point&shoot...

No comments: