Tuesday, August 26, 2008

just to spite stephen

DSC_0259

hows that for underexposed? Neener.


Anyway, took a few of these this morning from the gym. The rest are more...normal..attempts, and you can find those on my photostream. The problem I was having--and what led to trying shots like this--was that I wanted to get the rather nice view of the sun peeking out from behind some clouds as it rose above the hotel. It really was a pretty scene since I normally don't ever make it out of bed before 8am. If you look at the other shots, the sky is all washed out, and while they're more accurate to the amount of light out, the one above gets a _bit_ of the play between the sun and the clouds. You can actually see what's going on in the sky. I _think_ I'm supposed to use a polarizing filter for this sort of thing, but I find "buy more stuff" less interesting than figuring a way to do things with the hardware one already has, I thought it might be an interesting experiment.

This is just begging for an HDR treatment, but for now I'm sticking to learning how to do things without postprocessing.

4 comments:

stephen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
stephen said...

okay i see what you were going for. that's tricky. i think if i were you, and i wanted to avoid hdr, i would've looked to just get the sky. cause that's what you were going for anyways, right? why not have that dominate the shot, rather than a poorly lit building? when i first saw this shot, that's what my eyes gravitated towards.

ed said...

shot needed context, i think. when i tried just the sky, it ended up being kinda..boring, and the position of the sun in the sky limited my framing options if i wanted to keep the building out. i think having the foreground there helps draw the eyes up, whereas if i only framed sky, there just wasnt as much force to the image. looking at the preview on my camera, i was like.. "better, but...meh".

William Yu said...

i'll be honest first thing i my eyes gravitated towards was the building