Tuesday, September 30, 2008

worst performance of the season.

Granted I only had two runs in the dry, but I also didn't have the "complete n00b at this" excuse...

Oh right, _photo_blog. Disappointment on that front as well... first that I didn't have much time (but that couldn't have been helped, thank you rain) and second... I definitely got a lot better at the technical aspects of shooting cars on course. My keep-to-throwaway ratio was possibly an order of magnitude better than the last event. As I started to find at the last event, however, I still need to figure out how to take exciting/interesting photos over merely technically competent shots.

Example the first. I spent most of my time at two spots that were quite close to the course, which really helps the lack of a bazooka zoom lens. After reviewing some of the shots, they were just too bland... a car moving perpendicular across your field of view just doesn't have a lot of punch to it. You don't get a lot of context, and you don't see the car in a very dynamic state. I moved to another spot, and while I only had time to shoot a few cars, it was definitely a lot more interesting.

72cs

I also like this crop a lot, focusing on that line of slalom cones that comes down diagonally from the horizon. The first crop feels like it has better context, though...I think the additional space gives it a little more something.

72cs_2


If I weren't running/working an event, I definitely need to find a chance to shoot from one of the worker stations on course. I really like these wider angle shots that make the cars have such _depth_, and I imagine an action shot with that angle would be sweet...

DSC_1100

1 comment:

stephen said...

i like the color of the miata.. that and the bright orange cones gave life to an otherwise dull scene