Monday, September 1, 2008

perspective

I'll try not to milk my autox photos for the next whole week, but these are two I really like. So far all I've used the zoom for on my kit lens has been to get my lens where my feet can't go. With these next two shots, taken at 18mm, I've discovered this perspective thing (sue me, I only have time for one or two obsessively-studied/read interests, so most of my photography knowledge comes from stumbling/bumbling..or steph.).

DSC_0212

Ok, so the nose is out of focus/motion blurred, but I still like this shot. The wide angle combined with the point-of-view looking down on the car really bring out the size of the car (well, lack thereof). It kinda squeezes the greenhouse in as the roof recedes into the background. I just think it fits the character of the car...

64stu-fedex

Now this may be my favorite shot of the entire day. That evo's just got _presence_, and the wide angle, low-height shot makes it really punch off the 'surface' of the photo. In stark contrast to the shot I posted yesterday with FedEx Field filling the background behind the Miata, this is more a juxtaposition of peers. It's just a brute.

UPDATE: per steph's suggestion, a fairly aggressive crop of the evo... I think it loses some of that low-angle/looking-up-at-the-car feel that I wanted. There's a lot more focus on the car/stadium, though. Don't know which I prefer...

64stu-fedex2

2 comments:

stephen said...

i really like the shot of the mini. must be that AF-C mode.. it's like a different kind of bokeh. i like the horizontal blurring. it makes the mini pop out.

i feel like the evo shot needs some cropping to bring more attention to the car.

stephen said...

i like the blur even more in the first shot b/c it's like motion blur, but the evo doesn't seem like it's moving (i guess it was pulling into the spot) so it's kind of paradoxical.